We are here to help youth, support their well-being, and ensure connections to family, kin, extended family, friends, and community. Here you can find information about help and services available for youth.

It is not okay for adults to hurt children and youth. Hitting, pushing, and yelling can be abuse. Neglecting, refusing to support, and not providing appropriate food and shelter can also be abuse. Abusing kids is wrong. It is never your fault.

There are things Children’s Aid Society can do to help keep you safe and help make things better for you. If you are being abused, or if you think that a friend is being abused, please call us. We can help. If you are hurt or afraid, we are here to help you.

You can call us anytime day or night, to talk about your problems, or to ask for help. We are here to keep you safe.

Please call us:
  • If you are experiencing serious conflict in your family
  • If you are being, have been, or you are afraid you will be abused or neglected
  • If you are aware of another child/youth who may be abused or neglected
  • If you know or suspect that another child/youth is exposed to violence at home
  • If you need help regarding a pregnancy
  • If, as a parent, you find the stress becoming overwhelming
  • If your parents abuse drugs or alcohol, and you do not feel safe
  • If you were kicked out of your house and need a place to stay

Even if you don’t need help right now, you can still read this information so you’ll be prepared if you or a friend ever need help in the future. If you do need help now call us at 519-271-5290 or TF 1-800-668-5094. We’re here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What To Do

Sometimes abuse goes on for a long time, and kids don’t want to tell because they think they did something wrong. Even if the person hurting you says it’s a game or that you’ll get in trouble if you say anything, you should tell anyway.

You haven’t done anything wrong.

You won’t get in trouble for talking to a professional. If you are worried about yourself or a friend, please talk to someone you trust. You can talk to a teacher or your principal, or you can call us. An adult that you trust can help you. He or she can help you speak with someone at the Children’s Aid Society to talk about your problems and ways to keep you safe.

You are important to us.

You can call us anytime—day or night, to talk about your problems, or to ask for help.

We are here to keep you safe.

Types of Abuse

Abuse can happen repeatedly or just once. It can be:

  • Physical and emotional harm
  • Sexual behaviour or suggestion
  • Failure to provide proper care
  • Withholding affection, support, or medical care
  • Exposure to violence at home

Physical Abuse is:

  • Any physical attack, repeatedly or occurring just once
  • Any physical harm caused by lack of care

Emotional Abuse is:

  • Constant yelling
  • Demeaning words or remarks
  • Being rejected or ignored
  • Threats
  • Verbal attacks
  • Exposure to violence at home

Sexual Abuse is:

  • Invitation to sexual touching
  • Someone exposing their genitals to you
  • Being touched sexually
  • Someone asking you to expose your genitals
  • Someone exposing you to pornography

Neglect is failing to provide:

  • Adequate food, shelter, and safety
  • Medical or psychological treatment
  • Leaving you alone, unsupervised
  • Adequate clothing

Signs of Abuse

Signs of abuse and neglect can vary from one child to another and may include:

  • Several injuries in various stages of healing
  • Fear of adults
  • Extreme aggression
  • Extreme withdrawal
  • Severe depression
  • Thoughts of suicide
  • Frequent absence from school
  • Engaged in delinquent acts or alcohol/drug abuse
  • Sexually explicit drawing or descriptions
  • Prostitution
  • Seductive behaviour

Kids in Care of Children’s Aid Society

If you have concerns about your placement:

You have the right to contact the Ontario Child and Family Services Review Board if you or someone representing you feels that your rights have been violated.

If you, your parents, or someone representing you is not satisfied with Children’s Aid Society’s response to your concerns, you can contact the Ontario Ombudsman at 1-800-263-2841 or email cy-ej@ombudsman.on.ca.

You are entitled to seek a review of appropriateness of your group home residence any time after the fourteenth day of placement, by contacting the Residential Placement Advisory Committee (RPAC) at 705-748-3220 (349A George St. North, Ste. 205, Peterborough, ON, K9H 3P9).

Posts Slider