Ministry’s Child Welfare Redesign
In July 2020, the Ontario government announced plans for redesigning the child welfare system to focus on strengthening families and communities through prevention, early intervention, and seeking more permanent homes for children and youth in care when they cannot stay in their own homes or communities.
We continue our work under the Ministry’s five strategic pillars of child welfare redesign:
- Strengthening family well-being through community-based prevention services that keep children safe in family-based settings;
- Improving the quality of residential care provided to children and youth;
- Promoting the development of stable and lifelong connections and supports for youth, with a focus on education and employment opportunities;
- Improving the adoption experience and focusing on family-based options over group care where appropriate; and
- Creating a more efficient and effective child welfare system that is financially sustainable.
Learn about the plan introduced in July 2020 for child welfare redesign and system transformation.